It’s been a week since fall began, but today is the first day that actually feels like the new season. After days of hormonal, humid and unpredictable weather, it’s finally sunny, crisp and breezy. My perfect kind of day!
And with the temperatures cooling down, what better than a hearty soup to warm you up?
This version of the soup is not only full of earthy lentils, but it also contains green split peas. Although green split peas look a lot like lentils (other than their bright green color), they have a milder taste and a less grainy texture.
Also, since I prefer chunky soups, the addition of carrots, onions and celery make for a filling and complete meal.
But the best part was the dollop of Greek yogurt on top. No cream necessary.
Make this lentil and split pea soup for a comforting starter or even a filling meal on a cool and crisp day.
Green Lentil and Split Pea Soup
I like my soup chunky, so I rough chopped all of my vegetables, but if you like a thinner soup, you can fine-chop them. Also, I added split peas, but you can make the soup with all lentils. However, I wouldn’t recommend using all split peas because they tend to fall apart. And even though I made the soup vegetarian, you can substitute chicken or beef stock. Using red lentils or yellow split peas would work too, but the cooking time should be reduced about 20 minutes since they cook faster.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour
Serves: 8 appetizer portions, or 4 entree portions
1. (1/2 cup) Rough-chopped celery
2. (1 cup) Rough-chopped carrots
3. (1 cup) Rough-chopped onions
4. (2 tablespoons) Olive oil
5. (2 teaspoons) Sea salt
6. (1 cup) Rinsed and picked green lentils
7. (1/2 cup) Rinsed and picked green split peas
8. (1/2 cup) Chopped and seeded tomatoes
9. (32 ounces) Vegetable broth
10. (1 teaspoon) Ground turmeric
11. (1 teaspoon) Cumin seed
12. (1 teaspoon) Black pepper
13. (1/4 cup) Chopped, fresh cilantro
14. (1/4 cup) Greek yogurt
15. Pita bread or naan, for serving
1. Add olive oil to a pot on medium heat
2. Once the oil is hot, add chopped celery, carrots, onions and salt
3. Let the vegetables sweat, until the onions are translucent–about 7 minutes
4. Add the lentils, split peas, tomatoes, broth, turmeric, cumin and pepper
5. Stir to combine all seasonings, turn the heat to high and bring to a boil
6. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for an hour (or until lentils are tender)–stirring occasionally
7. Add chopped cilantro once the soup is fully cooked, reserving some for topping
8. Mix yogurt with a pinch of salt in a separate bowl
9. Ladle soup into serving bowls and top with cilantro and a dollop of yogurt
10. Swirl to combine, and enjoy!