I still remember my first taste of apple pie. My mom and I were having dinner at our neighbor’s house, eating an amazing meal on their back porch. My neighbor was the most amazing cook and spent hours a day on these dinner parties.
Although I don’t remember any of the other courses, I can’t forget that apple pie. Flaky and buttery crust, gooey, warm and just-sweet-enough apple filling, and the creamiest vanilla ice cream on the side.
Yesterday, I was craving apple pie on a perfect fall day, but I didn’t have hours to roll out dough and bake a whole pie. But, most importantly, I didn’t want to commit to eating a full-sized pie all by myself!
Enter, the mini fillo apple pie:
This recipe is so simple, quick and easy, it’s almost fool-proof. And in under an hour, you can enjoy the perfect bite of apple pie.
No, it isn’t the same buttery crust, but it’s still flaky, tender and delicious in its own way.
If you’re making these to share, the mini apple pies would be the perfect size for children and a surprise end to any dinner party.
Mini Fillo Apple Pie Recipe
This recipe is perfect for anyone who craves the taste of apple pie, but doesn’t have the time (or the stomach) to make a whole pie. It’s also great for kids and is a creative idea for dinner parties. After only 35 minutes, you can enjoy a warm and comforting bite of apple pie, full of cinnamon, nutmeg and all-spice, but for a fraction of the time and calories.
I used organic mini fillo shells from The Fillo Factory, but I’m sure they are available from a variety of brands. You can also substitute apple pie or pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon, nutmeg and all-spice.
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 12 mini apple pies
1. (1 cup) Small diced McIntosh apples
2. (1 cup) Small diced Granny Smith apples
3. (1 teaspoon–a squeeze) Lemon juice
4. (2 tablespoons) Brown sugar–packed
5. (1 teaspoon) Ground cinnamon
6. (1/2 teaspoon–a pinch) Ground nutmeg
7. (1/2 teaspoon–a pinch) Ground all-spice
8. (1/2 teaspoon–a pinch) Salt
9. (1 teaspoon) Vanilla extract
10. (1 teaspoon) All-purpose flour
11. (1 package) Mini fillo pastry shells
12. (1 whole) egg white
13. (for serving) Vanilla ice cream, honey, caramel, cinnamon sugar–optional
1. Combine the apples, lemon juice, sugar, spices, salt, vanilla and flour in a medium-sized pot
2. Place the pot on the stove over medium heat
3. Cook the apple mixture, while constantly stirring, for 10-15 minutes, or until the fruit is soft and juices turn syrupy
4. Meanwhile, preheat the broiling unit of the oven
5. Take the mixture off heat and brush the fillo shells with egg whites
6. Add a tablespoon of apple mixture for each shell and place them on a baking sheet
7. Place the baking sheet on the top rack of the oven and let the shells broil for 3 minutes, or until the sides are browned.
8. Serve and enjoy!